Six-Ingredient Harissa-Turkey Chili
This easy weeknight chili is low on prep but big on flavor, in large part thanks to harissa powder, a fiery Tunisian blend of red chile peppers, cumin, coriander, paprika, caraway and salt. Try serving it with your favorite chili toppings such as fresh cilantro and diced red onions.
- 3/4 pound ground turkey (a mix of light and dark is best)
- 1 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons harissa spice blend, plus more for serving
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Combine turkey and onion in a large skillet. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently and breaking up turkey with the side of a spoon, until turkey has released most of its moisture, about 10 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until turkey and onion begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in harissa and cook for 1 minute. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 5 minutes. Serve with harissa on the side for diners to add to taste.
Serving size: about 1 1/4 cups, 190 calories (25 from fat), 2.5g total fat, 35mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 20g carbohydrates, (5 g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 26g protein.